December 4, 2009

Country Roads Lead to Somewhere




Sorry for the recent paucity of posts! We just got back from a long-awaited visit to Australia, where I was inspired by the California-esque laid-back aesthetic but appalled by the retail prices in all of the Melbourne boutiques. Comparable clothes (even those designed in Australia and produced in China, as most were) cost at least 25% more than in the United States!!

(Over lunch with a friend who is a designer for a hip Australian sportswear company, I found out that high taxes and duties contribute to this price difference...the example she gave me is a $20 top from China will cost the company $40 total...and after the wholesale and retail markups that top will end up costing the consumer a cool $160. Eek!)

One place where I was tempted to make a purchase was at Country Road, which aesthetically reminded me of Montauk or the Hamptons meets Ralph Lauren...nautical and casual, but infused with a chic minimalist core. A city girl in the country, perhaps.

1 comment:

Fashion Police said...

OMG your Blog is awesome :)
I'm definitely coming back for more!